review: fateful


I'm rating this 4 out of 5 stars, i really enjoyed it! I picked this up because i love Claudia Gray's Firebird books so i thought i'd try out her other books. I loved the writing in Fateful and how easily it gripped me into the story(i got so easily distracted during my previous read so this was such a relief).

Synopsis from Goodreads:
A tragic tale about falling in love on the world's most infamous ill-fated sea voyage as heroine, Tess, discovers darker secrets that lie beneath the doomed crossing. and a hidden brotherhood that threaten to tear her lover from her forever.

Fateful is a retelling of Titanic(or it could even be the real Titanic but from different characters), only in this version the girl is a servant/maid and the boy is the privileged one (with a big twist). Claudia Gray also included a touch of fantasy, which added a more dramatic plot. I really enjoyed how Claudia described the ship, it really reminded me of the time i went on a cruise for 4 days. It felt like i was back on the ship itself, and it really helped that i've watched the Titanic movie to get the Titanic vibe.

Fateful kind of reminded me of Twilight sometimes, and i'm surprised that I still enjoyed that plotline. I absolutely loved the writing, and how a lot of parts kept me at the edge of my seat because of the suspense and twists. I had a similar reading experience with A Thousand Pieces of You, and it just reminded me why I love Claudia Gray.

The characters were quite great, though i can't say I formed a deep connection to any of them. I quite enjoyed the romance, for the main characters AND the side characters. I liked reading about the differences between the different social classes too, how people of different classes were treated and the way the characters behave. Things got interesting when the characters from different classes started mingling with each other. I think the main character, Tess, is quite naive at times but most of the time i appreciated her character. I think Alec is a little too good to be true BUT I do really like him at the same time.

The ending wasn't as emotional as I was hoping it to be, but it was still satisfying enough. I would recommend Fateful if you're looking for something fast-paced and heartbreaking with decent cliche romance.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Kamalia Hasni's books on Goodreads
An Ocean of Grey An Ocean of Grey
reviews: 71
ratings: 151 (avg rating 4.40)

A Wave of Dreams A Wave of Dreams
reviews: 14
ratings: 30 (avg rating 4.43)

Booktube