review: always and forever, lara jean



Where do i start, where do i start! I love this book so much, i read it overnight! It's a wonderful ending to Lara Jean's story, i honestly wouldn't have wanted it to be different. This book was full of fluffy, cutesy romance we all craved, but it also had so much about family, friendship, and the uncertainty of the future. It's the perfect book for those who are about to live the next chapter of their life. I'm rating Always and Forever, Lara Jean 4.7 stars! I personally enjoyed it the most out of the three books in the series. My second favourite would be the second book, P.S. I Still Love You. The series has come a long way from the first book, To All The Boys I've Loved Before,  and I'm so proud of Jenny Han.

Synopsis from Goodreads:

Lara Jean is having the best senior year a girl could ever hope for. She is head over heels in love with her boyfriend, Peter; her dad’s finally getting remarried to their next door neighbor, Ms. Rothschild; and Margot’s coming home for the summer just in time for the wedding.
But change is looming on the horizon. And while Lara Jean is having fun and keeping busy helping plan her father’s wedding, she can’t ignore the big life decisions she has to make. Most pressingly, where she wants to go to college and what that means for her relationship with Peter. She watched her sister Margot go through these growing pains. Now Lara Jean’s the one who’ll be graduating high school and leaving for college and leaving her family—and possibly the boy she loves—behind.
When your heart and your head are saying two different things, which one should you listen to? 

To be honest, I didn't expect to love this book so much. I loved the second book but really hated the ending because i felt like Lara Jean should have chosen John Ambrose McClaren. Peter Kavinsky was such a jerk in that one, i totally stopped shipping him with Lara Jean. But boy, did he redeem himself in this one. Let's take a moment to appreciate Peter Kavinsky. He is just such a sweet and perfect boyfriend, I need my own Peter Kavinsky in my life. I still adore John Ambrose McClaren with all my heart(Jenny, please make novellas about him!), but Jenny Han succeeded in pulling me back towards the original ship. It did feel too good to be realistic at first with all the fluff but after a while, it felt more genuine and believable and gah, i loved it! 


Lara Jean's character development was what impressed me the most. She's grown up so much ever since the first book, and i love how mature and independent she's become. What i love most about her is that she isn't easily pressured and swayed to do something she doesn't want to do. She knows what she wants, and she tries her best to stand by that. I also appreciated seeing Peter's character development as well. As perfect as he is in the third book, Peter still faced his own personal problems and insecurities. We get to know a bit more about Peter's family and we get to see how much he really cares about the people he loves.

I loved seeing all the mouth-watering description of food, particularly Lara Jean's cookies! I swear, it made me crave for cookies so bad that I actually went out cookie hunting after I finished the book. I love Lara Jean's appreciation for aesthetic and vintage things. 

This book made me cry. The tears at the end, they were real. I'm not sure if i cried for the same reasons as other people did (if they cried at all), but I was just so emotional at the end. I love how imperfect Lara Jean and Peter's relationship is, and it was interesting to see them having to make important decisions for their lives. Even though the final book seems like a very elaborate final chapter of the second book, I still feel like a lot of things happened. Lara Jean, Peter and their friends had to live out their final few months in high school, and they needed to come to terms with the changes that everyone eventually faces. It was very nostalgic to read about friends separating after school to live out their dreams, and going through the whole process of choosing colleges with all the stress and disappointment that comes with it. Sometimes you can feel very uncertain and lost with the options and decisions that you need to make, and I appreciated that Jenny Han included these very relatable situations in the book.

I'm sad that we'll no longer get to read about Lara Jean and her family. I'm also really going to miss the other characters I've grown attached to from the three books. It was a wonderful journey that started from 5 love letters getting accidentally shipped out to 5 boys . Lara Jean has come a long way. I definitely see myself rereading this trilogy again and again. Thank you Jenny Han for an amazing series!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Kamalia Hasni's books on Goodreads
An Ocean of Grey An Ocean of Grey
reviews: 71
ratings: 151 (avg rating 4.40)

A Wave of Dreams A Wave of Dreams
reviews: 14
ratings: 30 (avg rating 4.43)

Booktube